The Spitfire Fund
The people of Greater Elland raised over £6,000 in 1940 for the Spitfire Fund. This amount easily paid for one if not two planes.
Thanks to this generosity a plane was displayed in the Town Hall Square for a week. The plane is not a spitfire but a downed German aircraft; probably a
Messerschmitt Bf 109.
Trevor Wilson donated the two items. John Wilson, Elland UDC Chairman, was Trevor's father.
Copyright © Greater Elland Historical Society