WAR MEMORIALS oF ELLAND
By TIM PATTERSON
THE CHURCHES (PART 2)
6. SAINT PAUL'S METHODIST CHURCH AND
TEMPERANCE STREET METHODIST CHURCH
‘St.Paul's Methodist Church’ now Southgate Methodist Centre' 'Temperance Street Methodist Church’ now ‘The Cartwheel Club’.
The building of Saint Paul's Methodist Church began in 1914 and finished in1915. In 1922 the church became the United Reform Church.
The Bronze Memorial Plaque below is the original ‘Saint Paul's’ War Memorial remembering the fallen from World War 1.
‘The original Saint Paul's Methodist Church War Memorial Plaque’
The Temperance Street Methodist Church was built in 1875 and closed in 1962.
The rectangular Brass Memorial Plaque shown below with incised inscription in black painted lettering was erected in Saint Paul's Church
on the left hand side of the Chancel Arch after the two Churches combined post 1962.
‘The combined St. Paul's and Temperance St. War Memorial’
7. ‘THE WESLEYAN CHAPEL’
The ‘Wesleyan’ Chapel which stands at the top corner of Eastgate is the third incarnation of a chapel on this site the first being built in 1807 followed by an extensive re-modelling in 1860. The final and current building was totally re-built in 1892. The ‘Wesley’ (known as Dog Lane Chapel) closed in 1974 and combined with the Temperance Street Methodist Church and St. Paul's to form the ‘Southgate Methodist Centre’ that we know today.
The two large Brass Memorial Plaques featured below once hung in the ‘Wesley’.
‘The Wesley War Memorials’
These War Memorials are no longer on display but are stored in the foyer of the Southgate Methodist Centre.
Many thanks to Mr David Fox and the Boys Brigade for allowing access to the plaques.
‘Thomas Patterson aged 7 Cross Lane School’
GREATER ELLAND HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Copyright © Greater Elland Historical Society